Man Convicted in “Monfils 6” Murder Dies

Posted: Mon 9:40 AM, Jun 25, 2018 | Updated: Mon 10:31 AM, Jun 25, 2018

OUTAGAMIE COUNTY, Wis. (WBAY) – One of the men convicted in the “Monfils 6” murder case has died.

Dale Basten passed away the morning of Saturday, June 23, in Outagamie County, according to a spokesman for the Wisconsin Department of Corrections. Basten was 77-years-old.

Basten was granted parole in Sept. 2017 due to his failing health. In a report, the parole commissioner stated that Basten appeared to be unaware of his surroundings. He was placed in an assisted living facility, but still subject to electronic monitoring.

Basten and five other men were convicted of 1st Degree Intentional Homicide in 1995 for the death of paper mill co-worker Tom Monfils.

In 1992, Monfils’s body was recovered from a pulp vat at the James River mill in Green Bay.

Three years later, police arrested suspects later dubbed the “Monfils 6.” They were charged with 1st Degree Intentional Homicide.

The prosecution said the men conspired to kill Monfils, who had heard one of the suspects, Keith Kutska, talk about stealing an electrical cord from the mill. It is alleged that Monfils reported it to police, but his anonymity was compromised when Keith Kutska obtained a tape of Monfils’ call to police.

The prosecution accused Kutska and the other men of forming a group to take revenge on Monfils.

Investigators said Monfils had been beaten and a weight had been tied around his neck.

Another co-worker told police that Kutska had told him all the details of the killing of Monfils.

All six men were convicted at jury trial.

In 2001, Michael Piaskowski’s conviction was overturned for lack of evidence and he was freed.

Keith Kutska, Michael L. Johnson, Reynold Moore, and Michael Hirn remain behind bars. The Parole Board has either denied or deferred their requests for parole.

The United States Supreme Court denied Kutska’s petition for a writ of certiorari, which is a document asking the high court to review the decision of a lower court.

Kutska had mounted his appeal based on what his attorneys claimed was new evidence in the case. The defense was granted an evidentiary hearing to present an argument that Monfils killed himself.

However, a judge ruled there was not evidence to grant Kutska a new trial. His subsequent appeal was denied.

Reynold Moore’s parole was deferred in May.

Basten served his time in Green Bay Correctional Institution, Stanley Correctional Institution and Dodge Correctional Institution until he was released 22 years after sentencing.

Posted on: July 11, 2018Jared Manninen